Prone paddling over waves with a SUP / How To SUP Surf Video

There’s no shame in lying down on your SUP if you really need to get out through the waves. This technique will mean you are in more control of your board and are able to navigate through the whitewater.

Will Rogers
1 month ago

Nice tips here Beau – I will try this time next session, im normally getting the blade under my chest which limits me from trying this, but can look at changing my technique for sure! Tips from the top 😉

seanross
seanross
1 month ago

I’ll give it a try (in small waves of course). I guess I’ve also never put the paddle under my arm before. Maybe add a screen grab of how that looks in the comments would be good, as I usually tuck it all the way underneath me.

1 month ago
Reply to  seanross

Hey Sean
Yeah we will add that pic for sure. Give it a go 🙂

Naturian
Naturian
1 month ago

Do you guys ever lose the paddle after a wipeout? Do the paddles ever get lost?
does it float away? : ) Another Great Video… Ps: What size Paddle do you use?

T457118
T457118
Reply to  Beau Nixon

Kia ora, nice one, usually do the blade under chest with shaft sticking out front trick but that’s not conducive to popping over the whitewater. Have also tried the under shoulder technique but hit and miss, usually miss. These nuances and tips are great , will try again, maybe this arvo, nice little 1 ft swell down at the local….

Jordan-na
Jordan-na

That’s a neat technique! I will have to try it out. But wouldn’t it be easier to prone paddle towards the wave and then do a full body pushup just before the whitewater hits, just like the surfers do?

T457118
T457118

Awesome! This has not been covered by anyone or any other sup forum so thanks. I’ve tried to prone paddle out but tend to get wasted by even small whitewater. Didn’t know about the need to get so well forward on the nose, and never knew what to do with the paddle. Some great detail covered here, thanks Beau.