Have you ever got to the beach and realised annoyingly that you have left your fins at home?… we have! If so rather than driving home disappointed, it’s the perfect time to have a go at SUP surfing finless. There is no better way to hone those board skills than riding a board without fins.
Don’t expect though to look like Dogman in this video first time or even after the tenth time! Dogman is the master at many things and riding finless is one of them. See how he is using the boards rails to drive the board through the turns. And by riding the board in the middle you are putting more weight across more of the rail which gives you more grip.
The hardest part to SUP surfing finless is catching the wave in the first place! When the board is moving slower the rails wont have as much grip as when they are moving faster along the wave.
- Try taking off later and let the wave pick you up more than when you paddling in with fins.
- Do less paddle strokes at the start of the wave.
- With the paddle strokes you do make, do them further forward than normal. This will keep the board going in a straighter line. (think of pulling the board onto the wave)
- You have got to be in surf stance from the start, because this allows you to paddle further forward and as soon as you catch the wave you will need to control the board.
- Do it away from all other surfers because you will be out of control when you first start, and an out of control board is always dangerous!
Give it a go and have fun (even if you don’t forget your fins!)